Tub Cottage aims to adopt environmental practices and actively promotes local products, attractions and traditions of the Peak District.
Tub Cottage has been recently renovated to provide high quality self catering accommodation in the heart of the Peak District National Park. We are situated in a conservation area, and aim to minimise our impact on the local environment and support local businesses where possible.
The following are ways in which we can reduce our environmental impact.
We recycle glass, paper, cans, plastic and cardboard.
We buy in bulk and use refills when possible.
We purchase recycled products where possible.
We use environmentally friendly cleaning products.
We encourage communication by e-mail and telephone as much as we can to minimise paper use.
The boiler is a condensing combi boiler which has an A rated efficiency of 90.5% and is registered with the Energy Saving Trust..
The gas stove is serviced annually to ensure maximum efficiency and safety.
Windows are double glazed with additional draft proofing.
Shutters have been fitted to most of the windows to help reduce drafts and heat loss.
Individual radiators can be adjusted.
The heating is thermostatically controlled.
Blankets are provided for additional warmth.
We provide Winter and Summer duvets on all beds to ensure year round comfort.
Where possible all light bulbs are LED.
We also provide a slow cooker for energy efficient cooking and delicious meals to come home to after a hard day’s walking in the hills and dales!
A shower is available as a water saving option to a bath.
An A++ grade dishwasher has been fitted, together with a B grade washing machine.
Our welcome packs include mainly locally sourced products.
We try to purchase products with little or no packaging.
We use a local laundry to wash and dry our linen.
Folders are provided for guests with information on:
- Public transport and suggestions on where to go on public transport
- Local walks (maps are available) and information on local nature reserves.
- Cycle hire facilities.
- Local products and attractions.
- 7 day itinerary for minimal use of the car.
We encourage our guests to help by:
- Providing recycling boxes at the cottage.
- Considering the use of local transport whenever possible.
- Shopping locally.
- Sampling regional specialities.
- Supporting businesses that are keeping alive local crafts and Peak District traditions.
- Using the washer/dryer on low settings and drying clothes outside when possible.
- Using the thermostat and thermostatically controlled radiators for efficient use of central heating.
- We have recently added a bird box on the far side of the porch at Tub Cottage so are hoping that our local feathered friends will take up residence soon. The trees and shrubs outside Tub Cottage also encourage a number of wild birds including Blue Tit, Finch, Blackbird, Wren and Sparrow.