Below you’ll find places that are nearby or we think are well worth a visit during your stay at Tub Holiday Cottage Litton
- Chatsworth House, Baslow, Bakewell, DE45 1PP Tel: 01246 565300 www.chatsworth.org
- Haddon Hall, Bakewell DE45 1LA, Tel 01629 812855 www.haddonhall.co.uk
- Lyme Park, Disley, Stockport, SK12 2NS Tel: 01663 762023 http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/lyme-park/
- Hardwick Hall, Doe Lea, Chesterfield, Derbyshire S44 5QJ, Tel: 01246 850430 http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/hardwick/
- Sudbury Hall and Museum of Childhood, Main Rd, Sudbury, Derbyshire DE6 5HT, Tel: 01283 585337 http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/sudbury-hall-and-museum-of-childhood/
- Calke Abbey, Ticknall, Derby DE73 7LE, Tel: 01332 863822 http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/calke-abbey/
- Eyam Hall, Main Rd, Eyam, Hope Valley S32 5QW, Tel: 01433 631976 http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/eyam-hall-and-craft-centre/
- Keddleston Hall, Derby DE22 5JH, Tel: 01332 842191 http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/kedleston-hall/
- Tideswell – good selection of shops, pubs and cafés, together with the beautiful church, The Cathedral of the Peak. Well worth a visit.
- Monsal Head – famous for its spectacular views overlooking the railway viaduct (and the Monsal Trail) and one of the most photographed locations in England.
- Eyam – the plague village with Eyam Hall (National Trust) and tearooms, plus craft shops.
- Bakewell – famous for its pudding from Bakewell Pudding shop, gift shops, cafés, pubs, children’s park, river to feed ducks, Old House Museum, market on a Monday.
- Buxton – famous for its spring waters and the lovely Pavilion Gardens. Shops, cafés, museum, theatre (Buxton Opera House) and Poole’s Cavern.
- Ashbourne – lovely old market town with shops, pubs, cafés and market.
- Hartington – famous for its cheese (visit the cheese shop), gift shops and plenty of cafés/pubs
- Castleton – famous for its caverns and castle – Blue John Cavern, Peak Cavern and Speedwell Cavern, plus gift shops, visitor centre, cafés, pubs and Peveril Castle (ruin).
- Matlock Bath – popular with motorcyclists and provides cafés, gift shops, Heights of Abraham Cable Car, Gullivers Theme Park (for younger children), Nerf Zone and Spy Zone at Gullivers.
- Edensor – village owned by the Duke of Devonshire and overlooks Chatsworth Estate. Interesting architecture, beautiful houses and gardens and café.
- Hathersage – outdoor clothing shops, shops, cafés and pubs plus outdoor swimming pool.
- Peak Pursuits: Wide range of outdoor activities including canoeing, rock climbing, archery, high ropes. Booking required. Main events take place at: Peak Pursuits at Tittesworth Water, The Fishing Lodge, Tittesworth Reservoir, Meerbrook, Leek, ST13 8SH Tel main office: 01782 722226 http://www.peakpursuits.co.uk/
- Peak Activities: Provides Caving, abseiling, potholing, rock climbing, cycle trailquests, roped scrambling, orienteering, treasure hunts and more! Contact Rock Lea Outdoor Activity Centre, Station Road, Hathersage, S322 1DD. Tel: 01433 650345 www.iain.co.uk/index.htm
- Silva Navigation School: Runs navigation skills courses for walkers and other outdoor enthusiasts. Course are run throughout the year and cater for all levels of experience. Contact: Pete Hawkins T: 01298 872470 E: firstname.lastname@example.org W: silvanavigationschool.com
- Quad Biking, Paint Balling, Laser Tag – Wild Park Leisure, Middle Wild Park Farm, Wild Park Lane, Brailsford, Ashbourne, Derbyshire DE6 3BN Tel: 01335 360485 www.wildparkleisure.co.uk
- Go Ape: Buxton Country Park, Pooles Cavern, Green Lane, Buxton, Derbyshire SK17 9DH Tel: 0845 094 8634 www.goape.co.uk/days-out/buxton
- Heights of Abraham, Matlock Bath, DE4 3NT Tel: 01629 582365 http://www.heightsofabraham.com/
- Blue John Cavern, Mam Tor, Castleton, Hope Valley, 01433 620638 http://www.bluejohn-cavern.co.uk/
- Treak Cliff Cavern, Buxton Rd, Castleton, Hope Valley, 01433 621487 http://www.bluejohnstone.com/
- Speedwell Cavern, Winnats Pass, Castleton, Hope Valley, 01433 623018 http://www.speedwellcavern.co.uk/
- Peak Cavern, Peak Cavern Rd, Hope Valley, 01433 620285 http://peakcavern.co.uk/category/general/
- Poole’s Cavern, Green Lane, Buxton, SK17 9DH, 01298 26978 http://www.poolescavern.co.uk/
- Buxton Riding School, Fern Farm, London Road, Buxton, Derbyshire, SK17 9NP Tel: 01298 72319 http://www.buxtonridingschool.co.uk/
- Baslow Tennis Club, Church Lane, Baslow, Bakewell Tel: 01433 651559
- Chatsworth Farm, Bakewell, Derbyshire DE45 1PP, Tel: 01246 565300 http://www.chatsworth.org/attractions-and-events/farmyard
- The Donkey Sanctuary, Ashbourne Road, Hurdlow, SK17 9QQ Tel: 01298 83866 Limited opening times, so please ring before visiting http://www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk/derbyshire
- Mayfield Animal Park, Fulwood, Nr. Sheffield, S10 4LH Tel: 0114 630033 http://www.mayfieldanimalpark.co.uk/
The Monsal Trail, Tissington Trail and High Peak Trail are near Tub Holiday Cottage and are great for cycling and are easy on the legs and ideal for children.
If you are a keen cyclist and want something more challenging, then there are a wide variety of mountain bike and road rides which will test even the most experienced cyclist! Please ask us for further information on these rides as we can advise on the local terrain and best routes depending on your requirements/ability.
- Hassop Station Cycle Hire (Monsal Trail – great scenery and several tunnels to go through): Hassop Station (bookshop and café), Bakewell, Derbyshire DE45 1NW Telephone: 01629 815 668 http://www.hassopstation.co.uk/cycle-hire.htm
- Blackwell Mill Cycle Hire (Monsal Trail) – Buxton, Derbyshire SK17 9TE, 01298 70838 http://www.peakblackwellcyclehire.com/
- Parsley Hay (Tissington/High Peak Trail) – Biggin, Buxton, Derbyshire SK17 0DG, 01298 84888 http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/cycle/cycle-hire-centres/parsleyhay
- Derwent Cycle Hire, Fairholmes Visitor Centre, Ladybower/Derwent Reservoir (famous for the Dam Busters) – Derwent Lane, Bamford, Hope Valley, Derbyshire S33 0AQ 01433 651261 http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/cycle/cycle-hire-centres/derwent
There are many lovely walks on the doorstep of Tub Holiday Cottage, including Cressbrook Dale, Tansley Dale and also along the Monsal Trail which you can access at Litton Mill or Upperdale (near Cressbrook).
Tub Holiday Cottage provides Ordnance Survey maps of the area and there are also a selection of printed walks in the cottage and a selection of local books. The village shop also sells a good selection of local walking books and maps.
- Old House Museum, Cunningham Place, Bakewell, Derbyshire DE45 1DD Tel: 01629 81364 http://www.oldhousemuseum.org.uk/
- Eyam Museum, Hawkhill Road, Eyam, S32 5QP Tel: 01433 631371 http://www.eyam-museum.org.uk/
- Buxton Museum, Terrace Rd, Buxton SK17 6DA Tel: 01629 533540 http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/leisure/buxton_museum/?VD=buxtonmuseum
- Joddrell Bank Discovery Centre, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK11 9DL Tel: 01477 571766 http://www.jodrellbank.net/
- Crich Tramway Museum and Village, nr Matlock, Derbyshire, DE4 5DP Tel: 01773 854321 http://www.tramway.co.uk
- Peak Rail, Steam Train and Museum, Rowsley South Station, DE4 2LF, Timetable enquiries Tel: 0845 7484950 http://www.peakrail.co.uk/
- The Ridgeway Gallery Rutland Square Bakewell Derbyshire DE45 1BT Tel 01629 814 596 http://www.theridgewaygallery.co.uk/
- Derwent Gallery, Main Road, Grindleford, Hope Valley, Derbyshire, S32 2JN Tel:01433 630458 http://www.derwentgallery.com/
- Lynne Wilkinson, Tel: 07811 153705 http://www.lynnewilkinson.co.uk
Carsington Sports & Leisure, Carsington Water, Ashbourne, Derbyshire DE6 1ST Tel: 01629 540478 http://www.carsingtonwater.com/
Provides water sports, cycle hire and fly fishing plus visitor centre and café/restaurant and shops.
- Chatsworth Garden Centre, Carlton Lees, Beeley, DE4 2NX Tel: 01629 734004 http://www.bluediamond.gg/chatsworth-garden-centre/
- High Peak Garden Centre, Hope Road, Bamford, Hope Valley, Tel: 01433 651484 http://www.highpeakgardencentre.info/
- Calver Sough Garden Centre, Hassop Rd, Hope Valley, Derbyshire S32 3XH, Tel: 01433 630692 http://www.calversoughgardencentre.com/
David Mellor -The Round Building, Hathersage, Sheffield, S32 1BA, Telephone: 01433 650220. Specialises in cutlery and has a superb collection of tableware and kitchenware with a special emphasis on handmade pottery, woodware, glass and baskets from individual craft workshops. http://www.davidmellordesign.com/dmCutlery.php
Chatsworth House, Bakewell, DE45 1PP Tel: 01246 565300 – variety of gift shops in the stables with a wide selection of beautiful and exclusive products inspired by different aspects of Chatsworth. http://www.chatsworth.org/
- Face Facts II, 1st Floor, Peppercorn House, South Church Street, Bakewell DE45 1FD Tel: 01629 813337 http://www.facefactsbakewell.co.uk/
For further information on places to visit near Tub Holiday Cottage please go to the following websites: